How do you start a newsletter? How do you get people to subscribe to your newsletter? And what should you write about?
I’ve been creating newsletters since 2010 and have been sending out my ‘Letter from Marloes’ every month since the summer of 2020. Since then, my list grew from 1,800 to over 7,500 subscribers.
In this online class, I share how I approached this and take you through it so you can get started with your own newsletter right away.
Why send a newsletter:
- No algorithms hiding your work: every newsletter reaches your audience (subscribers)
- Newsletters offer the space to talk in depth about your work and your motivation: this way, people really get to know you and are more loyal
- Stable and reliable way of keeping in touch with people
You will learn:
- How to grow your email list
- How to define your audience/target group
- Legal rules: who you can put on your email list
- Do’s and don’ts for newsletters
- Which elements are needed for a good newsletter
- How to show your work and yourself in a way that fits you
- How to create a newsletter people are excited about to receive
- How to put your stamp on your newsletter with the design
- Tips for copywriting when making art is your primary language
- Offer your work in a way without feeling like screaming into a void
- How often and when to send a newsletter
Bonus: worksheet to define your audience, figure out your goals, 24 ideas for newsletters, and more
Suited for creative freelancers and small businesses like illustrators, artists, photographers and designers, who want to share their work with their audience. Other creatives are also welcome, if you don’t mind I refer occasionally to making art or illustrations. Please note it’s not a technical class on building newsletters but about communication and marketing.
Please note that paying for one ticket does not allow multiple people to participate in the class. Participation must be paid per person.
Not suited for:
People who are looking for technical help to create a newsletter. This class is mainly about marketing and the content of a newsletter. It’s also not suited for bigger companies or organisations.
When and how:
- After paying you will receive the class immediately in your email, so you can start straight away
- Length: about 2 hours
- English spoken
Who is the lecturer?
That’s me, Marloes De Vries. I started freelancing 22 years ago, as a 14-year-old. After working as an art director and designer at marketing and advertising agencies, I started freelancing full-time as a graphic designer and illustrator almost 14 years ago. For 15 years, I have been a freelance teacher at art institutions, and more recently at AKI Artez and the BNO.
You can read on the FAQ-page more about customised invoices and VAT exclusions (within the EU). Please read this before ordering!